Sunday, March 20, 2011

Splurge vs Steal: Spa Day

Today I treated myself to a belated birthday present, a splurge on a spa "getaway". While I had really been looking to truly getaway (out of Dallas) for the weekend to enjoy such an experience, my "last minute" traveling didn't pan out.  I had an amazing massage, a fantastic facial, and a mani/pedi. Unfortunately, my nail colors didn't quite turn out as fabulous as I had hoped they would, but overall the experience was delightful. My favorite part of the day was my AWESOME massage therapist, who provided excellent conversation and one of the best massages I've had in some time. I say this because I am usually very perturbed by conversation interrupting my attempts at relaxation, yet today, I couldn't break myself away.

This wasn't my first splurge on a spa day. My mom treated me to my first spa experience when I was in high school. That one set the bar pretty high. Mom treated us to a massage and a facial at Disney's Grand Floridian Spa--a little moment in heaven, needless to say. We followed that up with another visit a couple years later, and I've also visited the spa at the Saratoga Springs Resort on Disney property as well. I haven't done many spa days on vacation otherwise, although I did treat myself to a day at the spa when I visited the Loew's Don CeSar Resort in St. Pete Beach last May--the spa had a spectacular ocean view. On the other hand, I was rather well-versed in Lubbock's day spas by the time I finished school there. Between my mom and I, I'm sure we haven't missed a spa in Amarillo. In Dallas, I've experienced just two day spas (there are PLENTY I'd LIKE to experience). But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy a nice "a la carte" service now and again.

So after splurging on the Revive and Restore package at Exhale Spa (a grand total of $310), and a little added peel, I thought I'd share with you how I afford more than just the celebratory spa day. The Revive and Restore package includes a 60-minute massage, 60-minute facial, and a manicure and pedicure. Just as any good "deal" goes, there are things you give up to save a little cash including the "unlimited use of all spa facilities" that comes with day spa packages. However, I can say that I've only ONCE showered at a spa, and only ONCE used a spa's steam room, so I've never really capitalized on those extra benefits anyhow.

Spa Day on the Cheap

50-minute massage + aromatherapy at Massage Envy $59
If you don't have a Massage Envy near you, check around your local day spas to see who may be running discounts on spa services.

60-minute facial at The Aveda Institute $40
The Aveda Institute is a great place, all the benefits of Aveda products and style with half the price. You should be informed BEFORE you go that students perform your services. (As a resident I obviously don't mind.) If you don't have an Aveda Institute near you, check your local cosmetology school for deeply discounted spa services.

Manicure and pedicure (with hot stones) at La Nail Spa $50
Even my mani/pedi didn't include hot stones today, but this one does! Don't be afraid to venture out of your usual mani/pedi "go-to" place for a new experience.

Grand Total: $149 (less than half of what my spa splurge cost me)

With that in mind, I do have to travel between each service rather than wait in the relaxation area at the day spa and sip on hot tea. But for this spa package, it's a roundtrip (from home and back) total of 11.6 miles for the whole experience--only 1/3 a gallon of gas in my new hybrid! Well worth the savings, I'd say!

Thank you Exhale Spa for a such a fabulous celebratory gift to myself! Until another such occasion arises, I'll be frequenting my usual places to get a little slice of heaven without paying like the devil!

Please note, I'm not officially "endorsing" any of the above spas/salons in Dallas, I have simply listed them as examples (and because I'm familiar with them). Feel free to comment with recommendations!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by CGM